What We Do
Darren B. Towells Inc. has been involved in construction projects in a variety of ways depending on the requirements of each client. This approach has allowed clients to carry out portions of a project with their own forces.
Programming, Site & Environmental Analysis, Schematic Design, Engineering Systems Coordination, Building Cost Analysis, Code Research, Design Development, Construction Documents, Specification & Material Research, Document Checking & Coordination.
Bidding & Contract Negotiation, Construction Phase – Office, Construction Phase – Site
March 2006 – Present
Darren B Towells Inc.
- Working directly for a number of industrial clients
- In association with other Engineering & Architectural firms
- Specializing in smaller renovation projects requiring Building & Structural Engineering designs
March 2002 – March 2006
Structural Engineering Associate
Hanuschak Consultants Inc.
Offices in Winnipeg and Minneapolis
- Planning, design and inspections of several major projects.
- Project involvement over $150M per year construction value.
- Projects have included industrial plants, schools, warehouses, multi-family, and commercial buildings.
US Engineer of Record:
- Delano Common Bond – Delano, MN
- Woodbridge of New Hope, MN
- Town Center – Mendota, MN
- Common Bond – Northfield, MN
- Realife – Hibbing, MN
- Cornelia Place Apartments – Edina, MN
- Pathways of White Bear Lake, MN
- Summerhill of Apple Valley, MN
- City Hall – Milaca, MN
April 1998 – March 2002
Chief Structural Engineer
Roberts Sloane and Associates/SNC Lavalin
- Responsible for overall production in the Structural Design group.
- Structural Design Engineer for institutional, commercial and industrial projects.
- Fully conversant in a number of Canadian and American Building Codes and Standards while designing in the media of reinforced concrete, structural steel, timber and masonry.
- Structural Steel Detailing to AISC – Connection Design and Checker for:
- Miscellaneous Ironwork for Beck Steel
- Westmoreland School for Rome Iron Group – Utica N.Y.
- Curtis Instruments Office Building for Mark and Son Metal Products – N.Y.
- Concrete Grain Terminals – Killarney, MB, Camrose, AB
- Seagrams Distillation Line Expansion, Gimli MB
- Swine Housing
- Grain Storage Research Laboratory, University of Manitoba
- Design of Production Model Hopper Bottom for 27’ dia. Steel Bin
- Mould Remediation and Repairs – Lawrence Sinclai School, Jackhead First Nation
November 1994 – March 1998
Boge and Boge (1980) Ltd.
- Engineer of Record on a number of institutional, mining, heavy industrial and commercial projects including ventilation, fire and life safety audits.
- Addition to Union Gospel Mission – Winnipeg, MB
- Middle Years School – Winnipeg, MB
- Addition to H.M. Kellington School – Neepawa, MB
- Yellowhead Recreational Centre Upgrades – Neepawa, MB
- Upgrades to Varsity View Community Centre Gymnasium – WInnipeg, MB
- St. Boniface Diocesan High School Addition – Winnipeg, MB
- School Condition Survey – Norway House, MB
December 1989 – November 1994
Structural Engineer and Project Manager
UMA AECOM Ltd. Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Major project design involvement including rehabilitation and upgrading of thermal generation plants, various institutional and water treatment facilities.
- Generating Stations Coal Handling – Brandon and Selkirk, MB
- 3M Canada Inc. Plant Expansion – Morden MB
- Dow Corning Silicon Smelting Facility – East Selkirk, MB
- Can-Oat Milling Inc. Oat Mill – Portage La Prairie, MB
- Feasibility Study, Community Centre / Arena Upgrade – Town of Neepawa, MB
- Arena, Structural Design of Building Components – Nipigon, ON
- Conceptual Planning Study for the 1997 Canada Games – City of Brandon, MB
- Water Treatment Facilities for the Hollow Water, Eabametoong, Little Black RiverFirst Nations, MB
- Hamilton Avenue Bridge, Load Rating Study – City of Winnipeg, MB
- Esso Canada, Pipeline Inspection and Repair Project
- Various projects Manitoba Sugar
- Numerous Forensic Engineering Reports
August – October 1991
Kraft Construction Company Ltd.
- Tender preparation for the construction of a grain storage facility in Mansura, Egypt.
July 1987 – December 1989
Central Canadian Structures Ltd.
- Institutional, industrial projects including Hotel Okhtinskaya, St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Grain elevators, machinery foundations.
- Meadowood Manor Board of Directors – 2005-2009
- Youth For Christ Fire Hall – Climbing Wall
- Springs Inter-City – Fire Escape